Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 126: Vanilla Ice Cream with Honey

This morning, I ran in the annual Toad Suck 10K. I have run dozens of 5K's and 2 half marathons, but this was only my second 10K. I beat my previous time by about 90 seconds for a new PR of 54:06. I had been dreading this race all week because of my horrible run on Wednesday, so I was pleasantly surprised to have a decent run considering the heat and humidity.

Today I decided to use my Cuisinart Ice Cream maker to make a recipe that was in my last issue of Food Network Magazine. I haven't used my ice cream maker for several weeks, so when I saw this recipe for Vanilla Ice Cream with honey, I was excited about trying it. I have only made homemade ice cream that was not cooked before freezing it, so this was different. It turned out more creamy than my usual. It was a pretty strong flavor with the honey and vanilla bean together, and it left a weird film on the spoon. But it was still pretty tasty!

Vanilla Ice Cream with Honey
From: Food Network Magazine
Yield: 12 half cup servings (278 calories)

Ingredients:
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup honey
2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise and scraped
4 large egg yolks
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Heat the cream, milk, honey, and vanilla bean and seeds in a heavy saucepan, over medium heat until hot, being careful not to let the mixture boil and curdle.
2. Lightly whisk the egg yolks in a medium heatproof bowl, then slowly drizzle 1 cup of the hot mixture into the yolks while whisking. Pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan of cream; heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens slightly and coats the back of a wooden spoon, again being careful not to let it boil and curdle.
3. Pour through a fine mesh strainer to remove the vanilla beans and any bits of cooked egg yolk. Stir in the vanilla. Cover the custard with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, about 6 hours.
4. Follow the directions on your ice cream maker to freeze. Once the mixture is frozen, put it into containers and allow it to "ripen" for at least 2 hours in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment