Sunday, May 27, 2012

White Chocolate Ice Cream

So, it's been over a week since I last posted, and though I have enjoyed a little break from the kitchen, life has still been crazy-busy! It has been 2 months since we had the hot water heater disaster, but we just got replacement wood floors installed this week. They came and removed the old floors on Wednesday, which took all day. Thursday was installation day and the installers didn't leave my house until 9:45 p.m.  They did an awesome job and I would highly recommend them to anyone! 

Thomas had Friday off so he and the boys headed to Russellville to do some fishing and visit his family. I joined them Friday night at my parents to spend some time with them and my brother and family who came in from Alabama for the weekend. We don't see each other but a few times each year, so it truly is nice to catch up and hang out. I especially enjoy the time that my boys get to spend with their cousins.  They are all growing up so fast and I wish they could be together more often!!

When we got home on Saturday afternoon, it was "get the house back in order time". All our furniture was stacked in the kitchen and some in the bedrooms. I enjoy rearranging and moving the furniture in different locations, so that was fun.  Everything was filthy and dusty from removing the floors so everything needed to be cleaned - what a mess!

Then I headed to the gym for an afternoon run. Saturdays are my long run days and right now I have been doing 6 miles. I was feeling so good that I just kept running and did 7 instead! I decided I would run until they kicked me out of the gym since they close at 4:30!! 

Today I want to share an ice cream recipe with you from my new book that I got for Mother's Day, The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz. I tried the White Chocolate Ice Cream.  It was very smooth and creamy, more like a custard than an ice cream.  Also, it was very high in calories, containing 2 cups of heavy cream. Next time, I will try it with 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup half & half to save on the calories and cut down on the thick creaminess.  I like my ice cream a little lighter.  For a 1/2 cup serving, it was 400 calories, but it was very rich so a little goes a long way!

White Chocolate Ice Cream
From: The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz
Yield: ~ 1 quart (9 half cup servings)

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz white chocolate, finely chopped
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • 2 cups heavy cream
Directions:
  1. Put the chocolate pieces in a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top.
  2. Warm the milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.  Slowly pour the warm milk into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
  3. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heat proof spatula, scraping the bottom as your stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer over the white chocolate. Stir until the white chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth, then stir in the cream. 
  4. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.


No comments:

Post a Comment