Saturday, May 19, 2012

Random Thoughts & Announcements

This weekend has been an emotional roller coaster for me.  Here are some thoughts and decisions that have been on my mind to share with you.

1.  First, I started this blog as a way to sweeten my otherwise strict, bland diet and to enjoy life a little more. Along the way, I discovered that you, my readers, have enjoyed the recipes that I share with you, so I began to feel the pressure of needing to bake something everyday so that I could share that with you. It has been fun trying new recipes and making over old ones, but it is all beginning to catch up with me. I'll admit, it hasn't always been fun, especially those late nights that I was up baking something for the next day, or coming up with something just so I could share with you on this blog. It is very hard for me to make this decision, because I don't admit failure or give up very easy.  I am glad that I made it almost 5 months. I believe it is a smart thing that I am using the wisdom and discernment that God has given me to know when something is taking away from my family time or causing unnecessary stress, and that I can bow out gracefully.  You gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em!!  I look forward to sharing many more food posts with you but just a little less frequently (maybe once or twice a week).  I appreciate all your support and sweet words, and I hope you will stick around.

2.  Second, most of you know about my addiction to running.  Running is such a part of my life that without it, I am pretty sure that I would not be able to function effectively.  My family would probably kick my moody self out of the house!!  Just this morning, I went out for a 6 mile run, and then came home and mowed and worked in the yard for another 2 hours.  I got my fair share of personal therapy and commented to Thomas that the rest of the day should be a good one!!  I have run dozens and dozens of 5k's, 2 10k's, and 2 half marathons.  After each of the half marathons, I told myself I never wanted to do that again!  But yet I just keep going back!  It is a competitive part of me that wants to push and push and just see how far I can go.  A full marathon has been on my bucket list for a while, but it just never seems the right time or I have a hard time committing. Well, I finally did it! Yesterday, I registered for the St. Jude's Memphis Marathon in December. This is something that I need to do at least once to push myself beyond what physical limits that I put on myself. This won't be easy and I know there will be times when I wonder what was I thinking!! But I am looking forward to the challenge and will be glad to share that with you as well.

3.  Last, Thomas and I have been leading the 5th/6th grade group at our church for the past 3 years.  We have been with them every Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night as well as lots of extra activities and mentoring.  We committed to this for the full 3 years and this month brings a close to that chapter of our lives. We are passing the torch on to other leaders who will do a fantastic job. Although we are ready for a little break, it is very bittersweet, not knowing what our future holds or where God will lead us to next.  We love this group of kids as if they were our own and would do anything for them. Praying that God will open our hearts and minds to whatever he has in store for us next and that he will fill the void left in our hearts and lives from this fabulous group of kids and parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment