Today is National Coconut Cream Pie Day but I am not a fan of coconut. So I decided to tweak it a little and make Banana Cream Pie instead. For whatever reason, I don't make pies that often but when I do I really enjoy them. Since I have made 2 pies within one week, I kind of have the hankerin' to try out a few more!!
This recipe came from the Betty Crocker Cookbook New Edition. I actually made the homemade crust for it and everything! The pudding part is pretty much just a vanilla pudding with bananas layered inside and whipped cream on top. It was a very delicious sweet ending to my day, especially after giving it all I got in weight training class!
Banana Cream Pie
Yield: 8 slices (415 calories per slice)
- 1 pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large bananas
- 1 cup whipped topping
- Bake pie crust according to directions.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with fork; set aside. In a 2 quart saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Immediately stir at least half of the hot mixture gradually into the egg yolks, then stir back into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla; cool filling slightly. Slice bananas into crust; pour warm filling over bananas. Press plastic wrap on filling to prevent a tough layer from forming on top. Refrigerate at least 2 hours until set.
- Remove plastic wrap and top pie with whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.