Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 129: Banana Cream Pie

Today is National Coconut Cream Pie Day but I am not a fan of coconut. So I decided to tweak it a little and make Banana Cream Pie instead. For whatever reason, I don't make pies that often but when I do I really enjoy them. Since I have made 2 pies within one week, I kind of have the hankerin' to try out a few more!!

This recipe came from the Betty Crocker Cookbook New Edition. I actually made the homemade crust for it and everything! The pudding part is pretty much just a vanilla pudding with bananas layered inside and whipped cream on top. It was a very delicious sweet ending to my day, especially after giving it all I got in weight training class!

Banana Cream Pie
Yield: 8 slices (415 calories per slice)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pie crust (homemade or store bought)
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 cups milk
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large bananas
  • 1 cup whipped topping


Directions:
  1. Bake pie crust according to directions.
  2. In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks with fork; set aside. In a 2 quart saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
  3. Immediately stir at least half of the hot mixture gradually into the egg yolks, then stir back into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla; cool filling slightly. Slice bananas into crust; pour warm filling over bananas. Press plastic wrap on filling to prevent a tough layer from forming on top. Refrigerate at least 2 hours until set.
  4. Remove plastic wrap and top pie with whipped cream. Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment