Sunday, May 13, 2012

Days 133 & 134: Banana cream cheese cake & Apple Crumble

Happy Mother's Day to all my mom readers out there! I hope you have a day filled with peace and quiet (because your kids aren't arguing for one day), a full belly (and you didn't have to cook it or clean up afterward), and a relaxing afternoon (because you got to take a nap instead of catching up on laundry). That's all I am asking for!!
I wasn't able to post yesterday so today is catch up. Yesterday I made Banana Cream Cheese Breakfast Cakes. I didn't actually make them for breakfast but for an evening snack. I just recently started receiving Food Network magazine in the mail. I found this recipe in last month's issue and it looked delicious so I decided to give it a try. I love anything that resembles banana bread and these did not fail me.  The banana muffin was delish and the cream cheese filling just sent it over the top.  The only thing I might change is to fill the muffin cups a little less since they overflowed a little and baked flat on top.  Also, the recipe said it made 12 muffins and I got 20 out of it. Each muffin weighs in at 224 calories.  Pair it with a bowl of strawberries and you have a fabulous breakfast.

Today is National Apple Pie Day, so instead of spending too much time in the kitchen on Mother's Day, I decided to make an Apple Crumble instead. It was delicious topped with a scoop of frozen yogurt.  The only change I would make to this recipe is add a little less brown sugar to the crumble topping.  It was rather sweet and would also save a little on the calories.

Apple Crumble
Yield: 6 servings (387 calories/serving)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup brown sugar (I would change to 1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 3 cups peeled and sliced apples (2 medium)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 deg.
  2. Mix the first 4 ingredients together to make soft crumbs. Add half of the crumbs to the apples in an 8 inch square baking dish, mixing together well.
  3. Stir the water, sugar and cinnamon together and pour over the apples. Top with the remaining crumb mixture.
  4. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the apples are done.
  5. Eat warm from the oven, and top with ice cream if desired.



No comments:

Post a Comment