Saturday, February 18, 2012

Day 49: Birthday Cakes

Sorry I didn't get a chance to post yesterday.  After getting home from work, I immediately started decorating the birthday cake that I had to get done for this morning. One of my boys had gone to a friend's house to spend the night and the other was headed to the 6th grade dance.  So Thomas and I had 3 hours alone without the kids.  We headed to dinner at a local BBQ place where I splurged and had french fries with my pulled pork. I love french fries, but I don't eat them often so it is a treat when I do!! Originally, we were going to indulge in a fried pie for dinner, but we were both stuffed so we passed on dessert. After dinner, we headed to the store so we could get the grocery shopping over and done with for the weekend. What a date, huh?  Dinner and Groceries!!
We got back home about 9:30 and I had about another hour of work to do on the cake.  By 10:45, I was exhausted and ready for bed.  My sweet treat for the day was eating all the scraps of candy (Twizzlers, tootsie rolls, and fruit roll up) from the painter's palette cake that I made. Below are pictures of the 2 cakes that I made.


Today, I want to introduce you to Yoplait Smoothies. You can find these in bags in the freezer section usually next to the frozen fruit or breakfast items.  I keep these on hand and love to have one after a hard work out, for a bed time snack, or even for breakfast.  They are so handy because the bag contains the fruit and pieces of yogurt - all you add is 1 cup of milk and blend in the blender.  They are easy and delicious.  Today, with my lunch and after a 6 mile run, Thomas and I shared a blueberry pomegranite smoothie. It was delicious and filling!
Tip of the day:  There are many smoothie restaurants around that offer wraps, sandwiches and smoothies.  Many people assume that these places offer nutritious, low calorie, good for you food.  But most of the smoothies have at least 400 calories each because of the sugar content.  One way to lessen the calories is to ask for splenda instead, or get a smaller size.  The wraps and sandwiches can start at 650 calories and go up from there.  The key to limiting your calorie intake is to know what you are eating before you take a bite. Many restaurants have websites that list nutritional information.  Know what you are going to eat before you ever get to the restaurant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment