Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Day 32: Baked Alaska Day

Today is National Baked Alaska Day.  I have never tasted this before, probably because it seems like a lot of work for cake and ice cream.  It is layers of different flavors of ice cream in a round dish topped with pound or sponge cake.  After being completely frozen, the dish is inverted onto a pan so the cake is on the bottom.  It is then covered in meringue and placed in a hot oven to toast the meringue.  So that's it - cake and ice cream!  
 
I didn't want a whole Baked Alaska in my kitchen, so I decided to make minis for me and Thomas.  I used frozen vanilla yogurt for one layer and frozen peach yogurt for the other layer.  I used a ramekin dish with plastic wrap inside and then layered the yogurts and froze overnight until firm.  Instead of cake, I baked up 2 oatmeal cookies from dough that I had in the freezer.  I topped it off with a dollop of whipped cream - voila - mini Baked Alaskas!  The calorie count was 300 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment