Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 54: National Banana Bread Day

Today is National Banana Bread DayBefore writing this post, I googled "perfect banana bread" and their were countless sites claiming just that. Several years ago, I was on the search for the perfect banana bread recipe.  My criteria for the perfect loaf was:
  1. Moist with the consistency of muffins, not cake
  2. Not too dense
  3. Good banana flavor with a hint of cinnamon
  4. Easy to make
I don't know how many recipes I tried, but I finally found "the one" and have used it ever since. I love it because it makes up 2 loaves - one for my family and one to give away.  Today was my coworker's birthday, so I gave him the extra loaf. I also like it, because it also makes up well as muffins. So, who is to say that my recipe is perfect and yours isn't? It's all up to you and your tastes and criteria for perfection.

Sharla's Perfect Banana Bread 
Yield:  2 loaves or 2 dozen muffins
          231 calories per slice or muffin

Ingredients:
  •  1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 6 medium bananas, very ripe, mashed
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 deg. Spray bottoms only of 2 loaf pans.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Pour in bananas; mix.
  4. Sift together dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture just until combined.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pans; bake for about 1 hour or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
I would love to know how this recipe turns out for you.  Bake, eat and share!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment