Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 63: Mint Wafers

Today has been a very productive Saturday.  Headed out to run 6-1/2 miles this morning in this beautiful weather we are having.  It was a little windy and I am still getting my lungs accustomed to running outside after running inside over the winter, but it felt great when I finished in an 8:36 per mile pace! Can't complain about that! Then, I worked in my flower bed, getting everything trimmed and raked so I will be ready to plant in a few weeks when I am sure the cold weather is gone. Then, the family raked and raked and raked the back yard where we let the leaves pile up over the winter.  Love having a privacy fence so the neighbors can't see the piles. We ran out of yard bags, so we will have to finish up in a day or two, but it looks fantastic.  So ready to get started planting some vegetables in my raised bed garden!
This afternoon, I whipped up a batch of Mint Wafers.  I chose this recipe because I already have the vanilla wafers from the banana pudding bites I made yesterday, and because they are easy and quick to make.  My honey and I are headed out on a date tonight, so I didn't have much time to spend in the kitchen. I had never tried these before, but they were ok.  Probably won't make them again.

Mint Wafers
Recipe from: Sandra Lee

Ingredients:
  • 1 bag (10 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract
  • 30 vanilla wafers
Directions:
  1. Place chocolate chips and butter in a small bowl.  In two to three 30 second intervals, microwave, stirring after each interval.  After completely melted and combined, stir in peppermint extract.
  2. Place vanilla wafers on a wire cooling rack over a sheet of aluminum foil.  Pour melted chocolate over each wafer, covering tops completely.  Let cookies sit for 10 minutes or until chocolate is set.
Changes & observations:
  • I used dark chocolate chips in place of the semi sweet.
  • My melted chocolate was kind of thick so I wasn't able to pour it over the wafer.  I took a spoon and spread it on top of the cookie, covering the entire top of cookie.  It worked pretty well - a little messy but cute.
  • The chocolate never set up, it stayed soft.  Doesn't change the taste any, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment