Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 87: Oreo Balls

My life, as I know it, is in utter chaos and disorder! I am lacking the words to describe what has transpired within the last 18 hours. It all started this morning at 3:45 when Thomas and I woke to find most of our house sitting in about 1/2 an inch of water! The hot water heater was running and leaking water out of the top and the cats were completely freaked out! My first emotion was utter shock as I grieved over my newly installed wood floors. Just as quickly, we moved into overdrive to clean up the mess, sucking up the water with the shop vac. We got it cleaned up as best we could, in time to get ready for the day, take the kids to school and go to work.

My few moments of spare time during the day were spent calling the insurance company and scheduling the clean up and estimating of the mess, while Thomas worked it out to get a new hot water heater and get it installed, thanks to the help of his dad and mom. The clean up crew from ServPro and the insurance adjuster both arrived at 5:30 to inspect and went to work immediately. I was very impressed by their timeliness and thoroughness Taking pictures and poking the floor with some high tech equipment, they were able to easily assess and diagnose the situation. Almost immediately, there were fans and dehumidifiers all over. They found damage in areas that we didn't even think of! So, right now, my house is noisy with all this equipment running (which has to run for 3 days), and in utter chaos and disorder. Anyone who knows me well knows that I don't deal with either of those well. But I am taking it in stride, especially since I have 3 birthday cakes and a birthday cookie to get out between tomorrow and Friday!

Despite all the activities surrounding my day, this evening I managed to make some Oreo Balls. Tomorrow is Thomas' last day of work at his current job so I am sending them to work with him as a final sweet treat to his peeps! They love the Oreo Balls!

If you've never made them, take a bag of Oreos and process in a food processor or blender until small crumbs. Stir in 1 block of softened cream cheese. Roll into balls about the size of a walnut and refrigerate for a few minutes. Dip into melted white or milk chocolate and let harden. The ones dipped in white chocolate are my favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment