Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 73: National Coconut Torte Day or Homemade Milky Way Ice Cream (you pick!)

Today is officially National Coconut Torte Day. So if you like coconut and cake, then today is your day! Since I greatly dislike coconut and this is my blog, then I reserve the right to change the rules and skip this national day for something even better - like HOMEMADE MILKY WAY ICE CREAM! Seriously, since I got my new ice cream maker, all I can think about is what kind of ice cream to make next. It really isn't even about eating it, but just trying new kinds and recipes to see how they turn out. Any of you that would like to help eat this ice cream, let me know. I would be glad to share my samples.

My original dessert menu for March consisted mostly of recipes from Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade Desserts cookbook, but I have chosen to skip several of those in my spastic obsessed state of ice cream mania!! Tomorrow I promise I will share one of her recipes with you, but luckily it contains ice cream, so I can continue my obsession and stay on track following her cookbook!

The recipe I used today is not a new one. I have used this one in my old style ice cream maker that uses ice and rock salt, but I had to half it because of the smaller size of my Cuisinart. Actually, I made the whole recipe but churned it in 2 batches. Part of it I will use in my dessert tomorrow - stay tuned!  It turned out just as fantastic as I remember. You must try this today!!

Milky Way Ice Cream
Yield: 4 qts
1 cup serving (6.8 oz) = 275 calories

Ingredients:
  • 6 regular size Milky Way bars (or 18 fun size)
  • 1 tsp milk
  • 1 can fat free sweetened condensed milk
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 6 cups low fat milk
Directions:
  1. Melt candy bars and 1 tsp milk in microwave until melted.  Cool slightly.
  2. Stir in sweetened condensed milk.
  3. Whisk in eggs, vanilla and sugar.  Pour into ice cream maker and add milk to fill line.  Stir.
  4. Churn in ice cream freezer until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment