Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Day 115: Six Layer Bars

Today's recipe comes from a cookbook called Sweet Eats that I actually got from a book fair at my child's school several years ago. It has some real good recipes in it and this is one that I have never tried. These Six Layer Bars were a snap to put together and throw in the oven. The hardest part was keeping my husband out of them while they were cooling!

Besides being simple to make, these bars are very versatile. The bottom layer is a graham crust topped with sweetened condensed milk. The other 4 ingredients can be whatever you like. A little bit goes a long way because of the richness and combination of ingredients. Below is the original recipe as well as the changes that I made.

Six Layer Bars
Yield: 24 bars (220 calories each according to my recipe)

Ingredients:
  • 1-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1-1/2 cups coconut flakes
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 deg. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon and melted butter in a medium mixing bowl.  Stir until mixture is evenly moistened; press into a greased 9x13" baking dish.
  2. Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crumb crust.
  3. Sprinkle the chips, nuts and coconut over the condensed milk.  Using a spatula or your hands, gently press the goodies into the milk.
  4. Bake 25-30 minutes. Cool before cutting into squares.
Sharla's changes:
  • I used peanut butter chips instead of butterscotch chips.
  • I only used 1/2 cup pecans.
  • I used 1/2 cup Heath toffee bits in place of the coconut since I don't like coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment