Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 93: Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies

Today is National Peanut Butter and Jelly day. I will tell you that I am a fan of peanut butter but not so much the jelly part. I am particularly fond of peanut butter and honey. In fact, I buy it already mixed like that - it is so much easier. It is great on bagels, pitas, and just plain old bread.

When I saw that today was peanut butter and jelly day, I knew I wanted to do something different, not just a sandwich. That's not dessert! I recalled seeing a recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly cookies at www.pipanddebby.com. I came home for lunch today and made these cookies on my lunch break. That's how quick and easy they are. And the peanut butter cookie alone would be awesome with some peanut butter and chocolate chips or reeses mixed in. It was soft and peanut butterey and delicious. Since I am not a jelly fan, I could have lived without that, but it kind of gave a new dimension to a plain peanut butter cookie!

Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
Yield: 29 cookies (160 calories each)

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup jelly (any flavor)
  • 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
Directions:
  1. Pre heat oven to 375 deg. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine shortening, peanut butter, both sugars, milk and vanilla; beat on medium speed until just combined.
  3. Add egg and beat until incorporated. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until combined.
  4. Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into balls with hands. Place on ungreased baking sheets and press into the centers with thumbs to form divots. In each divot, place 1/4 tsp of jelly and 1/4 tsp of peanut butter. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes; let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment