Strawberry Malt Cupcakes - the perfect dessert for a warm spring day! And to celebrate the conclusion of my month long frustrating fight with my insurance company. They have finally come through, and I have overcome!! Now to just move on and actually get the wood floors replaced - oh how I will love being back to "my normalcy"!
Went out for a 5 mile run this morning. The temperatures were perfect, but it was very windy! I try to avoid wind as much as I try to avoid hills! Not FUN! I persevered and had a feel good finish.
So, on to the cupcakes. I am not much of a malt person, but something about this recipe was calling my name. Maybe it was the strawberry pink frosting with the malted milk ball on top. Whatever it was, I am glad I gave in because these were delicious!
Strawberry Malt Cupcakes
Revised from: www.yourcupofcake.com
Yields: 33 cupcakes (295 calories each)
Vanilla Malt Cake:
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups malted milk powder
- 1 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
Strawberry Malt Buttercream:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 1/2 cup sliced sweetened strawberries, pureed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and malted milk powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, eggs, sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Add sugar and brown sugar to the oil mixture.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and stir until fully combined.
- Fill liners 1/2 way and bake for 18-22 minutes or until and inserted knife comes out clean.
- butter cream: Beat butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl as needed. Add powdered sugar and malted milt powder. Slowly add strawberry puree until the butter cream reaches your desired consistency. add vanilla extract and let beat.
- Pipe butter cream onto cooled cupcakes and top with malt balls.