Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Day 116: Strawberry Malt Cupcakes

Strawberry Malt Cupcakes - the perfect dessert for a warm spring day! And to celebrate the conclusion of my month long frustrating fight with my insurance company. They have finally come through, and I have overcome!!  Now to just move on and actually get the wood floors replaced - oh how I will love being back to "my normalcy"!

Went out for a 5 mile run this morning. The temperatures were perfect, but it was very windy! I try to avoid wind as much as I try to avoid hills! Not FUN! I persevered and had a feel good finish.

So, on to the cupcakes. I am not much of a malt person, but something about this recipe was calling my name. Maybe it was the strawberry pink frosting with the malted milk ball on top. Whatever it was, I am glad I gave in because these were delicious! 

Strawberry Malt Cupcakes
Revised from: www.yourcupofcake.com
Yields: 33 cupcakes (295 calories each)

Ingredients:
Vanilla Malt Cake:
  • 2 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups malted milk powder
  • 1 cup oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
Strawberry Malt Buttercream:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
  • 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup malted milk powder
  • 1/2 cup sliced sweetened strawberries, pureed
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
  2. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and malted milk powder and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine oil, eggs, sour cream, buttermilk and vanilla extract.
  4. Add sugar and brown sugar to the oil mixture.
  5. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and stir until fully combined.
  6. Fill liners 1/2 way and bake for 18-22 minutes or until and inserted knife comes out clean.
  7. butter cream: Beat butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl as needed. Add powdered sugar and malted milt powder. Slowly add strawberry puree until the butter cream reaches your desired consistency. add vanilla extract and let beat.
  8. Pipe butter cream onto cooled cupcakes and top with malt balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment