Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Day 95: Sunflower Peeps Cake

Today, I made an Easter themed cake using Peeps. I was given this idea from a link that was sent to me by a new friend (thanks Leah!). It was a lot of fun to make and turned out so cute. In my opinion, Peeps are a must have at Easter time. They are now made for several other holidays as well, but there's just something about the yellow chicks that draws me in!
I tried a new yellow cake recipe for the cake part. Yellow cake for me is not necessarily something I am typically interested in, unless it is paired with chocolate frosting. It turned out very moist and delicious. It uses the process of whipping cream to soft peaks and folding it in to the batter, which I usually shy away from, but I am glad I took the time to try it. The recipe can be found on The Cookie Madness blog.

The cake is made to look like a sunflower. For the decorating, I frosted the sides green and the top brown or chocolate. Using 4 boxes of yellow Peeps, place them around the outside edges of the top of the cake. Sprinkle chocolate sprinkles in the center and that's it. Simple and so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment