Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 16: National Fig Newton Day

Today is National Fig Newton Day - YUCK!  In my opinion, this is a completely useless waste of calories consumed and I don't know how it even made it onto a National list of desserts!!  I guess buying it in the COOKIE aisle makes it a dessert! One of the reasons I don't like them is because of the small seeds and the texture of the fig. However, in the spirit of the day, I consumed half of a Nabisco Fig Newton Cookie (only 50 calories).  Thankfully, I was able to purchase a small package from the checkout aisle at Kroger which contained 2 cookies - my husband ate one and finished off the rest of mine.  
I googled fig newton just to see what I came up with and I came across this website, For the Love of Fig Newtons from an obsessed fan. He did a taste test of various brands and varieties of Fig Newtons, which was interesting.

Now for an update on the marzipan that I made a few days ago.  I let it sit in the fridge overnight, and by the next day, it was still too sticky to be able to mold into anything. So I placed some between wax paper and rolled it to about 1/4" thickness.  Using a pizza cutter, I sliced the marzipan into rectangles and returned to the fridge to harden.  Meanwhile, I melted some Ghiradelli dipping chocolate then dipped the marzipan.  It was really quite tasty. Thomas thought the texture was similar to a Mounds bar. I don't like coconut, but I could see how the ground almonds resembled the texture of coconut.  All in all, it was a tasty success!  Each piece contains about 100 calories.

P.S.  The only changes that I might make to the recipe next time would be to add 1-1/2 egg whites instead of 2, and use vanilla extract in place of the almond extract.

No comments:

Post a Comment