Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 20: National Butter Crunch Day


Today is National Butter Crunch Day.  I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to make for today so I googled butter crunch.  The first thing that came up was a recipe for a popular butter crunch cookie, but it was an old fashioned recipe that seemed rather time consuming so I decided to keep looking.  The next thing I found was a recipe for Dark Chocolate Buttercrunch from King Arthur Flour.  I love just about all recipes from King Arthur Flour.  Their blog was my first baking blog to read and follow, and I love their step by step instructions and photos. Definitely a must for you to check out if you love baking!
The buttercrunch is simply toffee - like a Heath Bar.  I love toffee, so I knew this was the recipe I wanted to try. Find the recipe here, but I will tell you how I changed it up a little.  

  • It calls for chocolate chips on bottom and on top, but I cut back to half of what it called for and only put them on top. I even used a mixture of semi-sweet, milk, and white chocolate chips from several half empty bags in my pantry.  (save a few calories in the process)
  • I completely left off the pecans, for my husband's sake, even though I love them!
  • Mine didn't turn out as thick as theirs appears in the picture, but it could be from not having the chocolate and pecans on bottom to keep the toffee from spreading.
It was so good - buttery, toffee with chocolate!  I think I would actually like it better without the chocolate!  Beware, over consumption is very likely since it is hard to resist nibbling when this is around!!

No comments:

Post a Comment