Saturday, January 7, 2012

Day 7: Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip Cookie

Today has been a lazy Saturday!  I had no plans for today, so I started it off by sleeping in until 8:45.  This is late for me - I typically wake up around 7:30.  Spent the morning just lounging around in my PJ's while Thomas started the laundry and washed the dishes.  Anyone who knows me well will realize that is very unlike me - but I allowed him to spoil me a little this morning and enjoyed every minute of it!  In fact, I stayed in my PJ's until I got dressed to go running around 2:00.  It was time to get up and do something!!

In fact, I was feeling so lazy that I really didn't want to make cookies for my sweet treat today, but I made myself do it this evening.  I whipped up a batch of Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip Cookies.  I want to stop here and give you a little suggestion. When I am making cookies for a snack at home, I don't need 3 or 4 dozen just sitting around waiting for me to eat them.  I will mix up a normal batch of dough and scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet.  Place the pan in the freezer until frozen, then remove the dough and place in a ziploc bag (qt size).  Label the bag with the type of cookie and the date and place back in the freezer.  You can also label it with the oven temperature and cooking time.  The next time you are in the mood for something sweet, just take out however many cookies you need (or want), allow to thaw for about 10 minutes, bake, and they are ready to eat!!  Better than the "take and bake" from the store and much more cost effective.  I keep several different kinds of dough made up in the freezer for this very reason.

Ok, back to the Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip Cookies.  This is a recipe that I came across a couple of years ago and I looked and looked for cinnamon chips with no luck.  Finally, I came across this Hershey's website where you could input your zip code and it would tell you the closest store near you that sold hard to find products (hence Hershey's cinnamon chips).  For you Conway folks, Price Cutter on Harkrider is the only place around here that sells them.  For the cookies I made tonight, I used Cinnamon M&M's instead.  I came across these in Target after Christmas and bought several bags to try in my baking. It was good but for this cookie, I prefer using the chips instead - they are more spread out through the cookie.  The M&M's are rather large, so I placed them on top instead of mixing into the dough.  The cookies spread when baking so you get less cinnamon flavor throughout the cookie.


Here is the recipe from the Hershey's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment