Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 26: National Peanut Brittle Day

Making candy is one of those things that you either love it or hate it.  The ingredient list is usually very short but the act of standing over the stove, stirring and stirring until it reaches just the right temperature is very slow and tedious.  If you over or under cook it by even the slightest temperature difference, the results can be disastrous.  This is most likely why some people leave it to the experts. 

Well, I am here to change your mind.  I have the recipe of "Brittle for dummies" (not that any of you are dummies!!).  It is simple because it is all done in the microwave - yes, you read that right - the microwave!! It doesn't get any simpler than that. I found this recipe in an old church cookbook, and I have been making it for years. I deviated from Peanut Brittle just a little by using pecans instead of peanuts.  I like peanuts but I love pecans!  Here is the recipe:

Pecan Brittle
Yield:  Approx. 12.5 oz (150 calories per oz.)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (3 oz) pecans, or peanuts or cashews
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup white corn syrup
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking soda

Directions:
  1. Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray.
  2. In a large microwave safe dish, combine pecans, syrup, sugar and salt.  Stir to combine.
  3. Microwave for 4 minutes; stir and microwave for 3 more minutes.
  4. Add butter and vanilla; stir and microwave for 1 more minute.
  5. Add baking soda; stir thoroughly and pour quickly onto prepared pan.  Move bowl as you pour to spread the mixture in a thin layer.  DO NOT SPREAD MIXTURE AFTER POURED ONTO BAKING SHEET.
This is so much better than storebought brittle.  I made several batches at Christmas and everyone loved it. It is a great gift for a teacher, boss or that special friend in your life.  My photo shows a cute way to package it.  I hope you will step out and give this a try.  I would love to know how yours turns out.



No comments:

Post a Comment